Friday, April 9, 2010

Understanding the right of passage

This past Sunday I hosted Easter at our house. It was a perfect day and I couldn't have asked for anything more.

We found out that family friends from Indianapolis would be in town for their spring break. The Becketts have been friends of ours for the last roughly ten years. When my mom was talking about having Easter dinner, a light bulb went off in my head: Why not have Easter dinner at our house?

I remember time after time when we'd have company come over at any point in time, my mom would run around the house like a madwoman until she snapped getting overwhelmed with cleaning the house and cooking. To save her from having to work so hard instead of visiting, I thought it'd be a great idea for me to take over where my mom left off so she can take it easy and worry about catching up with the Becketts.

That Sunday, I felt like a wanna-be Martha Stewart. I was running around the house cleaning and making sure veggies were chopped up and chips and salsa was out and making sure that the towels were hanging properly and anything else you can think of in a whirlwind. I finally understood what my mother goes through every time someone comes over. I was stressed out of my mind and exhausted at the end of the night. I really don't know how she's kept up doing it the last 25+ years. I commend her and hope I can be just like her.

No comments:

Post a Comment