Monday, April 12, 2010

HEADLINE: Husband demands wife see sleep doctor

Well, he really didn't demand it, but I felt ashamed he had to say it.

Last night was another of the numerous occasions that I talked about in Paranormal Activity (well not really) where I thoroughly attacked my husband in my sleep...on a KING SIZED BED for goodness sakes. I woke up at least two times last night with Louis tapping my hand and I turned over, tapping my leg and I turned over, and maybe one more time with my hand.

To my credit, I blame it on not being exhausted. When I've been exhausted I go into a super deep sleep and Louis says that I don't attack him. On the other hand, I also blame it on him, haha. When we went to bed last night, I could cut the tension in the room with a knife.

He's had some problems at work lately and all eyes are on him today as far as a program he's been working on where hardware hasn't worked. That equals no bueno. Since this is his first mixup since he started working there in '06 he's on pins and needles about it.

Since I was so on edge because he was on edge, my dreams were out of control.

But then again I can blame no one but my own physical being not staying put. So yes, it is my fault.

However, I've never felt so helpless than this morning when we woke up for the first time to go walking together before work/school. These weren't his exact words, but here goes:

"I was so surly with you last night. You need to go see a sleep doctor."

I do want to add, I wasn't mad at him for anything. It was more upset at myself that I felt so helpless that I didn't know how to help the situation. I also add that we've both been under some stress lately, coupled with that blessing I get every month (Mom says, "I'm sorry." and I say "Don't be; it's not your fault...It's dad's fault") that causes my amazing mood swings. I don't know what's going on. Just another thing I have to adjust to, I guess.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, I can relate to this a little, on his side. My boyfriend has the worst allergies of all time and is constantly waking me up with this labored and at times, super loud breathing. Now, I know, it’s not necessarily his fault of course but it’s still super frustrating to have to sleep with a pillow over your head. It’s just hard because we always sleep in spoons, if you know what I mean by that. Either I’ll spoon him or he’ll spoon me and the latter is where the problem lies really, because his mouth (and all the racket) is right next to my ear!! I can’t wait till the end of allergy season…I miss my big spoon :(
    On another note: have you tried any sleep aids such as Tylenol pm or Advil pm? I find when I take those I am super zonked out, sometimes I don’t even move at all! They are fairly safe, though you’re not supposed to take them for extended periods of time (months on end), but I’ve totally done that with no problem as far as I can tell.
    There are also more natural options such as melatonin; I’ve heard that works really well too.
    I’d try these maybe before going through all the expense of seeing a sleep doctor. Might be worth it!
    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about the spooning thing. Louis has a tad of sleep apnia (however you spell it) where he can stop breathing every so often in his sleep. This causes him to snore really loud as he sleeps. If I don't get to sleep before he does it takes me forever to get to sleep.

    I definitely try that though, I'd never thought about taking those to stay still. Louis had said something about melatonin so we'll see...Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete