Thursday, March 4, 2010

HDADD: Home Decorating Attention Deficit Disorder





This past weekend, my husband, his sister Eriel, her 9-month-old son DJ, Louis and Eriel's younger brother Marcus, and I went up to Phoenix to participate in the Heart walk in Tempe. While we were up there, Louis was all excited to take me to Ikea, a furniture store just off of I-10 as you're coming into Phoenix. 

Let me tell you, I've always been a fan of decorating. I loved putting stuff like posters and twinkle lights all over my dorm rooms in college. They were girly and perfect! But now I'm worried about trying to decorate our house without it looking too girly or too bare or too mismatched. So far, all we've really done is to attempt at finishing to paint the walls of the house (which we started when we met about a year and a half ago). But even that's not getting done very quickly. One wall is partially painted and it almost looks like we meant to, but it doesn't. There's some touch-ups still that need to be made in the formal living room at the front of the house where we started and took us the first year to finish. (We lived too far apart, I just couldn't find the time, haha) And now, our house is my canvas! I've asked Louis his thoughts on how to decorate and I wonder if he gets flustered with me since I'm so excited and all over the place about things. I understand, though. When I'm excited about something I start to rattle off what I'm thinking, not even realizing that the other person is not in my head and probably isn't following along with what I'm talking about as far as colors that go with a certain picture I have at home or something of that nature.

Ikea was not lacking in examples and ideas for one's house or apartment. There's eclectic styles for everyone including the chic, modern looks of white and black and boxy. The longer I was there, though, the more I felt like it was a lot of girlyness. I'm trying to stay away from anything floral since it's not just me living there and I don't want it to look like I'm overbearing with my decorating. But then again it's so hard to find a comforter or bed dressings that aren't floral :( But then again, I want it to be simple but not so plain as just a flat color like red or blue. Louis keeps drifting toward a blue master bedroom since he was a bachelor and loves the color blue. I'm all for it, but just plain blue? There needs to be some variation in there, so we'll see what I can come up with. A majority of the examples at Ikea, though, seemed to me to be perfect for a freshman dorm or small apartment. But even though I wasn't really finding huge items that screamed, “You have to buy me!” we spent two solid hours in that store.

But I didn't come out empty handed! :) I couldn't resist getting three gorgeous glass candle sticks which would go anywhere: dining room, breakfast nook if I wanted to make an intimate evening, pony wall for decoration during a dinner party. We also picked up a towel rack for the master bath so that we could hang both our towels next to the shower instead of having to drape them over the shower door, and a coat rack that looked somewhat-rustic enough to hang next to the front door. My last find was a lamp for the guest bedroom that gave it a soft glow instead of the bright, in-your-face light from the fan.

Now, how should I attack the master bedroom...

No comments:

Post a Comment